High Performance Cams and Valve Trains Book Billy Godbold

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

High Performance Cams and Valve Trains Book Billy Godbold

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Just received High Performance Cams and Valve Trains Book Billy Godbold.
First impression is very good.
I like that it raises the bar for technical information in an enthusiast book.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
In-Tech
Vendor

Re: High Performance Cams and Valve Trains Book Billy Godbold

Post by In-Tech »

I look forward to receiving my copy. Tracking shows for Thursday.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:51 pm Just received High Performance Cams and Valve Trains Book Billy Godbold.
First impression is very good.
I like that it raises the bar for technical information in an enthusiast book.
Good to hear. Too many auto type books I have, are just the same stuff with diff pictures.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

I got it direct from the publisher immediately, so have read it twice now. It’s good.

It’s not going to tell you how to pick out a camshaft or is it going to to tell you how to design a lobe, but Billy does a great job of explaining how the engine sees the valve lift curve in an engine, and really how engines work (seeing how cams are the brains), and all the considerations and asterisks that come with a given valve lift curve and making it stay together. I think Billy did about as good of a job of explaining all of this as one can without getting into higher level engineering, which greatly shrinks the market for that book.

I think what people should take away from it is it is all about the package. From the moment air enters a the intake / bell mouth / etc to the exit from the exhaust back into the atmosphere, and the use, rules, and architecture dictates how you build / design an engine.
-Bob
splinter

Post by splinter »

Received mine today.

Looking forward to reading it through its covers, but looks well done thus far.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

hoffman900 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:37 pm I got it direct from the publisher immediately, so have read it twice now. It’s good.

It’s not going to tell you how to pick out a camshaft or is it going to to tell you how to design a lobe, but Billy does a great job of explaining how the engine sees the valve lift curve in an engine, and really how engines work (seeing how cams are the brains), and all the considerations and asterisks that come with a given valve lift curve and making it stay together. I think Billy did about as good of a job of explaining all of this as one can without getting into higher level engineering, which greatly shrinks the market for that book.

I think what people should take away from it is it is all about the package. From the moment air enters a the intake / bell mouth / etc to the exit from the exhaust back into the atmosphere, and the use, rules, and architecture dictates how you build / design an engine.
Yeah, I think he did about the right level of tech on the lobe stuff for an enthusiast book. It introduces people to the basics of reading cam charts and some critical details of a cam that are not on a cam card. To me the none of the interesting things about a cam are on the cam card.

If someone wants to know about computing dynamics, there are many university thesis papers on the subject (that few people read).
Every time I find an author of one of those papers to ask a question, they are thrilled to find out that someone read it.
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

Where can a fellow buy the book?
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Dragsinger wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:11 pm Where can a fellow buy the book?
https://www.cartechbooks.com/collections/new-releases
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

Doe's he go into depth on valve spring's, pushrod's and lifter's?
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

bob460 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:55 am Doe's he go into depth on valve spring's, pushrod's and lifter's?
More than most enthusiast books but nothing like an engineering book.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

bob460 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:55 am Doe's he go into depth on valve spring's, pushrod's and lifter's?
As much as he could without doing math and teaching people math.
-Bob
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

hoffman900 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:07 pm
As much as he could without doing math and teaching people math.
Got a copy on the way. Glad it's a wordy book and not overly mathemetized. That’s where I get tripped up with engineering books, when the explanations are done with engineering math.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:33 am
hoffman900 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:37 pm I got it direct from the publisher immediately, so have read it twice now. It’s good.

Yeah, I think he did about the right level of tech on the lobe stuff for an enthusiast book. It introduces people to the basics of reading cam charts and some critical details of a cam that are not on a cam card. To me the none of the interesting things about a cam are on the cam card.

If someone wants to know about computing dynamics, there are many university thesis papers on the subject (that few people read).
Every time I find an author of one of those papers to ask a question, they are thrilled to find out that someone read it.
Recently, I've been pretty surprised at the number of papers I've gotten in results when searching for different things online. Whether about cars or guitars/music, my other hobby, I seem to continually get them in my results. So I usually give them a quick look-thru.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:46 pm Recently, I've been pretty surprised at the number of papers I've gotten in results when searching for different things online. Whether about cars or guitars/music, my other hobby, I seem to continually get them in my results. So I usually give them a quick look-thru.
What is even more interesting now is if I want to know about something, I just ask ChatGTP.
It is amazing how much it knows about the mathematics of motion design.
I am quite sure than some of the stuff it knows is only in some rare books, so it isn't only getting stuff off the web.

So if you are interested in know about a particular thing and then you become interested in a tangential discussion, just keep asking questions and it answers. At some point human nature makes you feel rude for asking so many questions.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:04 am
midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:46 pm Recently, I've been pretty surprised at the number of papers I've gotten in results when searching for different things online. Whether about cars or guitars/music, my other hobby, I seem to continually get them in my results. So I usually give them a quick look-thru.
What is even more interesting now is if I want to know about something, I just ask ChatGTP.
It is amazing how much it knows about the mathematics of motion design.
I am quite sure than some of the stuff it knows is only in some rare books, so it isn't only getting stuff off the web.

So if you are interested in know about a particular thing and then you become interested in a tangential discussion, just keep asking questions and it answers. At some point human nature makes you feel rude for asking so many questions.
Where does one find this chatGTP that you speak of?