Are Morel Hydraulic roller lifters any good?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Are Morel Hydraulic roller lifters any good?

Post by rebelrouser »

I guess this is just my week to get rained on. 454 chevy mild hydraulic roller tie bat came off a pair of Morel lifters. I have used many sets of these Morel lifters, first one I had trouble with. Is everything you buy today junk? It chewed up the camshaft but didn't hurt the block. I have not taken it apart completely, yet I assume the tie bar is in the oil pan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Re: Are Morel Hydraulic roller lifters any good?

Post by PRH »

The picture is from 2020?

Edit-
Never mind.
I see from your 512 post that the date on the camera appears to be stuck in 2020.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Are you certain they aren't counterfeit?

Also maybe try permatex gasket sealer, just a light coat so it doesn't squish into the port.

Also also check the camera settings to see if you can turn date/time off
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Is everything you buy today junk?
There sure is a lot of it.

Is more and more of this type of problem occurring in the “mid-level” performance offerings?

You’d think it wouldn’t require stepping up to $1200 HR lifters for a mild street build to get a reasonable level of reliability.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

People say they have had good luck with Johnsons. I have not yet tried them. I have had good luck with Crowers. Multiple sets in service. Looking to buy another set soon.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

novafornow wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:05 pm People say they have had good luck with Johnsons. I have not yet tried them. I have had good luck with Crowers. Multiple sets in service. Looking to buy another set soon.
Crower hydraulic roller lifters are made by Jonhson lifters as is isky lifters!!
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

rebelrouser wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:19 am I guess this is just my week to get rained on. 454 chevy mild hydraulic roller tie bat came off a pair of Morel lifters. I have used many sets of these Morel lifters, first one I had trouble with. Is everything you buy today junk? It chewed up the camshaft but didn't hurt the block. I have not taken it apart completely, yet I assume the tie bar is in the oil pan.
I can't reply to the quality of today's offerings. I have heard of name brands, not necessarily manufacturers though, with all manner of quality issues. Which is to say brand X now buys from a different manufacturer, and thus all bets are off.
My experience lies with a higher mileage set of Comps short travel SBC versions. Purchased in 2012. To be fair these lifters, although they were in use with about 30k worth of street miles plus several hundred WOT passes, put in good service until they didn't. A tie bar let go. Rivet in the oil pan. Tie bar in the lifter valley. Cam FUBARED.
A new set now on order from Jones Cams. Their XLR-8 rollers. Who makes them I can't say but I'll trust them because of who sells them.
Kevin
engineman1642

Post by engineman1642 »

Had 2 sets of Morel to break tie bars , was told i used wrong lifters for application . Used a .700 roller should have used .750. Both cams were under .600 lift.