That 128 controversy

Moderator: David Vizard

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
That 128 controversy

Post by David Vizard »

First a quick note to Mike here. I wish to address the entire ST community not just the ones who read my section so here goes.

How many of you have looked at my 128 LCA proof of concept video on my Powertec 10 YouTube channel. Let see what arguments the nathsayers can bring to bare after watching this!!!!
Link is:-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kDFS72mYdA

Second I am clearing out my workshop and focussing on just 3 projects. I have everything you can think of including an 820 IHRA prostocker in almost new condition. When last dyno tested some 10-12 years back it mad (as I remember it) about 1750 Hp.
Most of the parts are going at about 25% of retail with some as low as 8%. I am pricing these parts to go so when I do the wife won't be left with about 2 tons of part that she has no idea how to move.
Current vid starts sales from today the 6th of july. check out to prices they are really low! link is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5VkWSOSkyk

David Vizard
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Re: That 128 controversy

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Do you happen to have an Edelbrock BBC tunnel ram ? The newer #7085 version is what I'm after.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

David: Glad to see that you are back at it.
Do you have an opinion about applying the 128 formula ti say a street supercharged engine?
I am refering to low compression and low / moderate manifold boost (10 psi and less) non intercooled pump gas roots supercharged engines to get the most street strip rpm range overall high torque output out of the engine. (7200 rpm and less).

Do you have an opinion on how you might adjust the cam LSA based relative added boost say 2,4,8,10 #'s boost.?
vannik
HotPass
HotPass

Post by vannik »

David,
In the video you talk about the opening and closing rate as being important, I agree. But is it not easier to just say what happens in effect is the overlap specific time area increases and easier to give a number to, rather than increased valve acceleration? After all, keeping the opening and closing points the same, increasing the acceleration just increases the amount of flow area exposed sooner and that give a bigger overlap STA?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.” -Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

I'm not entirely certain if this relates to your comment vannik although in his books, DV does cover the aspect of the "overlap triangle" as it's described.
To paraphrase from his 2009 Small Block Chevy block (and the SBC seems to me what the 128 formula is centred around):
"The critical factor is the overlap area brought about by the combined degrees and lift."

Example given:
"40° of overlap instead of 30° appears to add an extra 25% . With the lift factored in the effective increase is more like 80%."

How much lift and at which points aren't specified.
How all of this plays out in the 128 controversy, I can't say.

Perhaps DV will parachute in and enlighten us.
Kevin
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

vannik wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:54 am David,
In the video you talk about the opening and closing rate as being important, I agree. But is it not easier to just say what happens in effect is the overlap specific time area increases and easier to give a number to, rather than increased valve acceleration? After all, keeping the opening and closing points the same, increasing the acceleration just increases the amount of flow area exposed sooner and that give a bigger overlap STA?
Vannik,
I enquired about your program about last Christmas and did not get a reply. Could you fix that?
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.