How much taper on a 4032 piston skirt?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

the_crack_fox

How much taper on a 4032 piston skirt?

Post by the_crack_fox »

How much taper would you expect to see on a piston made from 4032 alloy?

From what I've seen in cast pistons, the taper in the skirt is a similar number to what the clearance is likely to be. So if the recommended clearance is 0.002", there's probably about 0.002" taper in the piston.
I'm aware it gets more complicated than that with barrel shaped skirts, but as a baseline generalization would this be similar for 4032?
F120

Re: How much taper on a 4032 piston skirt?

Post by F120 »

Ask the manufacturer.
the_crack_fox

Post by the_crack_fox »

Yeah, that's where it gets tricky. I am the manufacturer...
I'm making a set 90mm billet 4032 pistons for an FA20. Machining the O.D. is the next step and I need a bit of insight into skirt design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F120

Post by F120 »

Yes, you are the manufacturer, just turning down, pistons machined from solid.

Good luck.
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

With the same problem on two-strokes back in the day. one tuner set a std top clearance (as you suggested) and just guessed at the taper. He Dykem-ed the skirts and ran the engine at fast idle for a minute or two. Pulled the pistons & looked at the skirts. Wherever the Dykem was worn off, he sanded a few thousands of aluminum off, re applied Dykem and repeated. until finally running it 5 full minutes or so gave a nice even wear pattern. Packed up his stuff and went to Daytona. No piston problems that year.

Note- assembling/disassembling a 500 cc two-stroke twin is likely much easier than what you face. Good luck.
the_crack_fox

Post by the_crack_fox »

Yeah, its gonna be a challenge. Once the engine is in the car, its not coming apart again unless it fails. I will err on the looser side for clearance.
I was hoping someone might have a 4032 piston on the bench that they could measure and post some info. Diameter at top and bottom of skirt of a commercially available piston would be handy information :)
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
At 90mm and a lathe you will want at least .0008" -.00012" more at the pin height using a home made dual groove cutter for oil retention, compared to the ~.003" at the skirt. The skirt doesn't care. Then taper from there to the top. There's a reason why most all pistons are "cam" machined.

Loose is fast if you think that piston stays round :)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I would look at it the other way.
Figure you need .002" per 1 under the rings,
Then decide how much it tapers -bigger- at the bottom of the skirt, based on how long the skirt is, how hot it will get down there, and how springy the piston skirt is and how much cam grind.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

the_crack_fox wrote:Yeah, that's where it gets tricky. I am the manufacturer
You couldn't make this up ......

So you're trying to make something you can't design ?

Lordy .......
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Put it on a hot plate and measure it
the_crack_fox

Post by the_crack_fox »

mt-engines wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:25 pm Put it on a hot plate and measure it
That's probably a good place to start.
Drawing and machining a complex profile isn't a problem. I have solidworks and a cnc milling machine. I can put any cam/barrel/taper on them I choose.
I can accurately plot the taper profile of an existing piston on the mill with a dial gauge. My problem is that I only have access to cast pistons. The missing information that would be helpful is an approximate figure for skirt diameter at the top and bottom of a 4032 piston.
I'm sure my finished product won't be suitable for nascar racing, but making something that works without immediately seizing shouldn't be impossible.
Even if it does fail, I will still have learned a lot for the next project.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Then just buy some pistons, measure them on your machine, and then sell them again.
the_crack_fox

Post by the_crack_fox »

Took some measurements today.
Blue line is the taper profile of a subaru FA20 stock piston. Red line is a toyota 2AR-FE piston. There's a bit of noise on the 2AR line, the piston hasn't been run and has a bit of texture on the skirt.
Also tried to get a hot measurement of FA20, 2AR and my billet piston. Difficult to do, they cool down quickly! All 3 measured 0.12mm (about 0.005") bigger when heated to 100degC (soak in boiling water for 5mins). Interesting... I was expecting more growth from the 4032.
I'm thinking if I go with the 2AR skirt profile, and run about 0.003" piston clearance I should be good. Stock FA20 clearance is 0.0008" to 0.0013".
Feel free to tear my theory to shreds, I am here to learn! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

My understanding is that 4032 alum expands less than 2618, hence usually fitted with less bore clearance. 4032 is not as strong as 2618, which is why 2618 is used with high HP engines. The cam ground into the piston is also going to have affect on expansion.
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

Send a PM to D-cal on here. I think that He made pistons for a living.