Individual TBIs on a GenII LTI engine

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

577Nitro

Individual TBIs on a GenII LTI engine

Post by 577Nitro »

Im old now almost 80 and want something really good sounding out of my 1993 C4 Corvette...Having used an Inglese system many years ago, and to keep my car using fuel injection mostly for my high altitude here in Colorado. SO, I thought an individual TBI like used on BMW, Maserati etc would be just the thing. I see the systems posted on Summit, but not sure they will match up to the LT1 with no distributer on top or and so on...Any suggestions or help would greatly be appreciated.
Thank all, Fred
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Individual TBIs on a GenII LTI engine

Post by FC-Pilot »

The manifold will bolt up. There is an oil pump drive that sits where the distributor is in the block. You could either have a plug fill the hole in the intake, or drop a distributor in (which could be a benefit as the factory computer may not be able to run the new system). Also, the front thermostat housing would just stay dry in the intake as the factory LT1 setup did not use it as you know. The sky is the limit.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
577Nitro

Post by 577Nitro »

Thanks Paul, I was wondering which way to go with the distributer hole if the manifold would still work. You view is that it would, but would I have to change the cam to a gear at the rear? I am not overly a fan of the optispark so not using it is fine with me...I have read that some of the drifter guys are able to use/adapt ECUs to handle all sorts of fuel mechanisms, but getting to know who they use is difficult not being one of their bunch.I was looking at both Kinsler, and Inglese systems for the fuel portion.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

The cam in it has a gear on it to drive the oil pump. So no change there. The LT1 has a stubby drive that bolts into the block in the lower distributor hole. If you pulled out the stubby drive you could drop a distributor in just like normal. If you use another computer system you could leave the optispark and use the distributor you just dropped in. Or depending on the computer, you could do coil near plug. So many options.

There are tons of aftermarket computers that could run that setup. I was looking at using a micro-squirt to do a setup on one of mine. It is not near as powerful as other systems out there but could work. I would not be a good source of info for EFI info.
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Fred,
Reach out to Karl Ellwein and see what he is using. http://www.ellweinengines.com/ He is one of my customers and pretty much does LT1's exclusively.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
577Nitro

Post by 577Nitro »

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it, as I am starting from scratch with my last corvette in 50+ years. I am almost 80, and just want to do something reasonably fun and different...BTW Bill, we just moved back to Colorado a year or so ago. We lived in Solomons if you are familiar with that part of Calvert county.
I will contact Mr. Ellwein and get his take on it.

Thanks, Fred
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

isn't that a reverse cooling engine???