GM G-body rear shocks, but shorter

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

turbo camino
Expert
Expert
GM G-body rear shocks, but shorter

Post by turbo camino »

Recently installed short rear springs, with the stock length shocks the springs will fall right out at full droop. Stock extended length is like 20.3"ish so I need ones around 17-18". T-bar upper mount (E3 type), round eyelet lower mount (E1). Places I have looked like Belltech are suggesting stock length shocks even with lowered rear ride height... that's what I already have and guess what, it don't work.

Does anyone have a source handy for shock listings by dimension and not application? Street car, not race car.
DON'T PANIC
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Re: GM G-body rear shocks, but shorter

Post by prairiehotrodder »

QA1 will custom make shocks.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

So, like $300 a pop? Or more?
DON'T PANIC
2seater

Post by 2seater »

This might help you. Under technical is specs and lengths

https://www.monroe.com/technical-resour ... truts.html

Oops. You need to go to Shocks 101, scroll to the bottom and there will be a heading for a pdf of mounting and length specs.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

I have these ordered: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=503178

Will require some amount of work to adapt the mounts, maybe have to change bushings, but it's closer than anything else I could find.

After multiple emails with [an aftermarket suspension company who shall remain nameless], they do not seem to think there is a problem with 20" long shocks with a spring that goes free-floating at 18". I tried multiple times to explain that the springs can fall out onto the road if the shocks are too long and the car goes over a bump just right (or wrong). Response was that the shocks could be damaged if they are the only travel limiter in the system. Has anybody ever seen a solid rear axle where the shocks weren't the limiter? I haven't. Maybe I'm just on the wrong planet or something.
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Everyone I'm talking to about this says that the stock length shocks are perfectly fine and as long as the car doesn't go over any bumps or anything it should be OK. (I disagree, obviously, and this makes me some kind of weirdo freak, apparently)
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Another option I found if the Subaru things don't work is 68-72 coil spring Chevy C-10s. They're listed as 18.5" extended but are eyelet/eyelet mounts, I could probably make an offset t-bar for the upper to get it to around 18" installed. More options for brands/grades too.

(QA1 has a non-adjustable TN513 for the C-10, 17.75", but I'd rather not spend the extra $220 over something like a KYB if I don't have to.)
DON'T PANIC
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Why not make up a travel limiter? Use a good shock that up you like and just limit the travel with cable, chain or strap. The choice is yours. That way you can run a performance/race shock that performs better than some over the counter auto zone shock. That’s just how I would address your issue.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

I'm particularly vulnerable to the 'well if X, then might as well Y...' snowballing never ending project creep syndrome. Much rather just have a bolt-on shock and nothing else. This is a beat-up driver not a race car.

I'm capable of moving the mounting locations but that opens such a can of worms.
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Another thing: Why isn't this something that's already in the market?! I am surely not the first human to have used these springs on a street-driven car. Did everybody before me just live with the springs falling out occasionally?
DON'T PANIC
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

turbo camino wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:46 pm I'm particularly vulnerable to the 'well if X, then might as well Y...' snowballing never ending project creep syndrome. Much rather just have a bolt-on shock and nothing else. This is a beat-up driver not a race car.

I'm capable of moving the mounting locations but that opens such a can of worms.
I can appreciate that. Depending on what your goals and vision was I just wanted to throw out another option. Good luck with the build, sounds like it will be fun.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Not a 'build', just got tired of the redneck look...
old_springs.jpg
new_springs.jpg
It sits just about exactly level now but front & rear tires are the same diameter (205/65 & 225/60), I think it needs a little rake so 255/60 will probably go on the rear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

20231027_115606-960.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DON'T PANIC
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Can you use one of the spring cups from an earlier A-body and bolt the bottom of the spring to the rear end housing? Or fab something up? It shouldn't be that hard.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

chev-vs-subaru-960.jpg
installed-960.jpg
Well that was too easy. Alls I had to do was chuck the lower mount stud in the lathe and turn down the shank from 5/8" to 12mm, went together with every bit of the original hardware even. Extended length is 17-1/2", ride height they are at 15-5/8".
DON'T PANIC