Quick and dirty grudge.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Monzsta
Quick and dirty grudge.

Post by Monzsta »

My original thread.. viewtopic.php?t=61064\

Been pretty happy with it as a truck.. Spanks BMW's and Audis from a light, hauls 3 yards of crusher run in a 12k dump trailer fine, except for stopping.. It's run 9.5's at 75mph in the 1/8 on 87 octane. Got a C3500 for hauling duties as getting pushed around by a heavy trailer sucks. So this gives me the opportunity to make the C1500 an asshole. Future plans are for an L8T crank in a LQ4 LS block making 1200 on pump twin turboed with a 4l80e, but for right now I have a dick of a co-worker with a Dodge Challenger Scat Pack running low 8's in the 1/8, and he has slicks. I know those cars can get in the 7's. I need to make up 1.5-2.0 seconds and about 20 mph in the 1/8.

What would you you do besides spraying the fk out of it? I'm thinking cam springs and good fuel.

tl:dr: It's a 388 sbc with Canfield 195 heads ported, Edelbrock Proflow 3500 intake (Victor Jr EFI with 1,000 cfm throttlebody), Hellcat 600cc 60 lb injectors, gm LT4 Hotcam with Scorpion 1.7 rockers and Megasquirt. Obligatory long tube headers , 700R4 is built with 5 pinion planets, 2500 stall and a 3:90 gear in the rear witha truetrack.

Scaled 4500 lbs with 200 lb me in it. There's a 50+ lb b&w gooseneck hitch and a 75 lb rubber bed rug I can take out of it.

What do I need to do to stomp on scats quickly?
sbcMark
Re: Quick and dirty grudge.

Post by sbcMark »

Loose as much weight from the truck as possible. What size tire is on it? Put the smallest diameter tire on it that hooks up. 1.5 seconds is a lot to pick up.
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

Nitrous
Monzsta

Post by Monzsta »

sbcMark wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:09 pm Loose as much weight from the truck as possible. What size tire is on it? Put the smallest diameter tire on it that hooks up. 1.5 seconds is a lot to pick up.
235/75/15. Most of my available weight to pull is over the rear tires and the stock springs and shocks do a great job of hooking up. I'll have to experiment and see if it hurts my launch.

I can open my headers at the track and raise my rev limit. I was shifting at 5700 as it was the truck's first time to the track so it was a few base line runs with no tuning that night. The guy I went to the track with broke his car so I ended up getting a trailer and towing him home.

I also know my air filter is way too small, 1t's a 10"x4" round.
71vette

Post by 71vette »

Cam change, new converter, and maybe even a small shot. Barely beat him the first time, that way after he does something to his car you still have more for him on round 2. Your gonna have to out 60 him, hard. But is it worth it? The truck sounds like a great machine the way it is now.
Monzsta

Post by Monzsta »

71vette wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:37 am Cam change, new converter, and maybe even a small shot. Barely beat him the first time, that way after he does something to his car you still have more for him on round 2. Your gonna have to out 60 him, hard. But is it worth it? The truck sounds like a great machine the way it is now.
It's been a fun truck. Always kept it functional and it tows and hauls great. On the outset while the HotCam has great torque and excellent drivability I've wondered how much bigger you can go before you start to bite into the streetability. I have decent vacuum for the brakes and it'll happily sit in drive at idle with the lights and A/C on for hours with no drama. But even with the 1.7 rockers it's only at .557" lift. The Hemi has .571"/536" in/ex. stock.

I'm going to get a few tanks of premium through it and work on my timing map, upsize my air filter, bump the rev limit up and take out the heavy rubber bed mat and see where that lands me. Might even open the headers.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

'Streetable' is about the most subjective thing there is. 270*/280* solid roller and 4500 stall is plenty streetable (see what I mean?).
DON'T PANIC
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I can tell you from experience that the LT-4 hot cam works very well with nitrous.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Monzsta wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:20 am Might even open the headers.
That could make it slower too. At least at the bottom end depending on what you have for collectors.
Kevin
71vette

Post by 71vette »

Have 18" - 24" collector extensions ready
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

71vette wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:54 am Have 18" - 24" collector extensions ready
That'll certainly be helpful.
Interesting too in that I'll be experimenting along these same lines myself (next season hopefully).

On a simulation basis, PipeMax indicates a nice bump in torque when the collectors are sized appropriately. Conversely, torque goes in the toilet when they're not.
It's always reminded me of that first drive to the muffler shop to get an exhaust built and making the trip there with the headers open. Stubby collector and all. The engine was a dog at anything below 4000 RPM.
Kevin
Monzsta

Post by Monzsta »

Happy Thanksgiving all!
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

I have ran the LT4 hot grind a few times but I had it custom ground.
I did not care for the small duration on the intake side as that is just limiting the engine all around.
I have it ground using the exhaust master only so 228@ .050 on both sides.

I do not like that 112 LSA either as it closes the intake valve later and just not enough overlap for me.

I had my first one ground at 228 on both sides and 110 LSA.
357" engine with ported Vortec heads.
You had to be on the shifter as it would rev to 7200 rpm really quick I ran PAC Beehives with 130 seat and 313 rate.

Friend wanted to go quick in his 1975 long bed chevy and built an LQ9 and still wanted to tow loads with it so wanted a smaller cam.
I had the cam grinder make him a cam with that LT4 Hot and set it at 109LSA.

PAC beehives again and of course i ported his heads and trunion upgrade to the rockers and LS has the 1.7.

This grind had 15 psi more cranking pressure than the stock LQ9 cam and pulled to 7000 very quick.

I feel you need more converter but do not go there unless you can dead hook.
I had to race a 2015 supercharged mustang that put down 550 at the wheels in my 4 door 57 chevy.

I ran a 230@ .050 cam 4.56 gears and 4500 stall to beat him with my 350 chevy and 305 heads.
Ran 8.0 in the 1/8.

That 305 head 350 with flat tappet 280H comp cam pulled harder than the Ported vortec head LT4 hot cam 357" engine and it was in a 400 lb lighter vehicle.

That 350" would out run my buddies LQ9 also.

Your power brakes will work fine even with a pretty large cam.

I do not know why more people do not do a single pattern LT4 grind and tighten the Lobe centers.

I do know of one truck that ran a 700R4 and LT4 hot cam on non ported heads with a carb.
It was the guy who grinds my cams and he ran a 3500 stall and shifted it at 6500 rpm.
1.5 rockers on that one and Z springs.
It was in a short bed chevy truck.

If you wanted to do minimal i would go with 4000 stall and make it hook and up the shift point.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I found out quickly that just a NOS 125 HP power shot plate would beat many. LOL.
Monzsta

Post by Monzsta »

After a few tanks of 93 octane, getting the rev limiter to 6k and bumping my total timing to 36-38 degrees this truck is a lot more fun to drive! I'm still waiting on my 14" x4" flat bottom air cleaner to show up. The Pro-Flow 3500 throttlebody with the Lokar cable bracket/spacer won't allow a drop base air cleaner. Then I'll begin doing some timing and mixture pulls with a G meter and tune for the best pull. (poor man's dyno)

Now I'm thinking carefully about 6500 rpm. It feels like it really wants it but it's still an $800 cast steel Hyper piston Eagle 383 stroker kit from about 15 years ago, around the era where the broken crank pics started hitting the internet. I've read the odd tales of them surviving 7k in dirt and drag cars, grand nitrous floggings and the like but I don't trust the thing that much.

I think with pulling 100 lbs of spare tire, bed rug and mini crane it's a high 8 second as it sits. Hopefully weather will allow some test and tune at the track.