368 Lincoln Y Block

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

frnkeore
Expert
Expert

368 Lincoln Y Block

Post by frnkeore »

I always liked this engine and saw a '56 Ford in Long Beach, CA, beat some impressive cars, back in the mid '60's.

I've been involved with FE's since the '60's but, never got to build one of these. They have the same bore centers as the FE but, a 10.94 deck ht and are a little heavy.

Has anyone built one of these or know anyone that did and what were the specs to the builds and drag results?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: 368 Lincoln Y Block

Post by PackardV8 »

I helped a now-departed long-time Bonneville competitor build one. We'd previously done a Packard V8 together and he liked some of the features of the Lincoln better.

There were few aftermarket parts for the Lincoln, so he adapted a Hilborn injection system and had Dema Elgin regrind a cam for it. IIRC, I built a custom distributor with a Mopar solid state trigger.

It's been a while, but IIRC, we used adjustable rocker arms from the old gas Super Duty 534". In fact, I still have some of those leftovers on the shelf.

The early Lincoln V8 can be bored and stroked to 425". 1957 and later heads have reinforcing posts and 1.60" exhaust valves. ECU heads are generally used for performance along with the '60's 332" truck 4-bbl intake, which accepts modern 4-bbl carbs. The 302" and 332" truck engines have forged steel crankshafts which can be welded up to 4.10" for stroker use.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

I have a old Hilborn catalog, from about '73. In it, it says that you can use the Olds injection manifold for the Lincoln. The Olds has 4.625 bore centers.

How did it do at Bonneville?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

frnkeore wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:10 pm How did it do at Bonneville?
He passed before he ever got to run it. Always wondered who ended up with his stuff.

One other point about the old tall deck stuff is they require a hell-for-stout pushrod.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

If you really want answers, talk with Royce Brechler on the FE forum. He took a Lincoln Y to EMC that made over 525hp. He has built several stroker versions with adapters for SBC intake manifolds. Joe-71
Joe-71
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

Waiting for Mummert to chime in.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Ted Eaton would be another good source. I don't know if he has ever been on here though.

Now a days, not many want to work with them, because parts are so scarce.

With the 10.94 deck ht, I've always wondered, just how long a stroke you could get. The FE can do 4.375. If there is enough cam/crank CL distance, you might get a 4.50 stoke?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

:roll:
frnkeore wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:55 am With the 10.94 deck ht, I've always wondered, just how long a stroke you could get. The FE can do 4.375. If there is enough cam/crank CL distance, you might get a 4.50 stoke?
As mentioned above, the longest stroke we've seen is 4.10". Pan rails and bottom of cylinders are tight.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

I have built several of these. No stock ones but full race to hot street.. I did a 433 inch with 4.1 x 4.1. At that stroke you need a custom billet or a welded crank . That engine made 425 horse with the optional 2x4 M-335 intake . The EMC engine is 383 inches with Joe Craine ported heads 12.5 compression BBC 7.1 rods Roller cam and a adapted SBC single plane manifold. I ran it with a single 4 and also as a tunnel ram with port EFI. Single plane made more hp 520..... Tunnel ram made more torque...500 There are probably 3 or 4 of these engines going together here and in UK that I am supplying parts or giving advice on.. These are very rugged overbuilt engines My 383 has 100s of dyno pulls from 6500 to 7000 rpm, and dozens of 1/4 mile passes on it. Last inspection showed no wear anywhere
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Thank you, Royce.

I have the magazine with the results for that EMC challenge. Can you tell us the valves used and flow that Joe got out of those heads?

I'm disappointed to hear that the stroke is limited to 4.1. I had always though that the deck height and it's stroke potential was thee advantage to this engine. Are the pan rails spaced a lot closer that the FE?

Were there ever any blower manifold made and have there been any 6-71 blown engines built, that you know of?

I'd love to hear any results of those new builds. You could post them in Jay's Non FE section, when they're done?
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

Valve sizes were 2.02 and 1.6 Joe would probably have the exact numbers recorded, but IIRC about mid 240s intake around 180 on the exhaust.. I think you could go a bit further than 4.1 on stroke depending on the big end of the rod. I used a BBC 2.2 on the EMC engine. Actually on the 433 stroked engine I used stock rods.. Because I used a welded crank the shop did not feel comfortable going much bigger.. Certainly you could use a 2.1 SBC rod to gain some more clearance. You can usually go safely out to 4.25 on bore.. I have one 4.25 done in Cali for a circle track car back in the day. I have never seen or heard of a blower intake for a Lincoln... Some have been fabbed, . There is not even an aluminum single 4bbl that takes the Holley pattern. I had an Edmunds 2x2 and a 2x4 but for the teapot carbs. The truck 4bbl that takes modern Holley is awful. Joe ported one and said it was the worst v-8 manifold he had ever put a grinder to
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Wow, that's quite a bore increase! How did you get the nerve to go that big? Being a old guy, I know that most of the early engines were bored 1/8" but, the only early engine that I had heard being bored 1/4" was the flathead.

Since Hilborn recommended using the Olds FI intake on the Linc, It would seem to me, that you could use the Olds 6x2 manifold. Maybe not the Edelbrock but, the Weiand should work. The Pont, 6x2 might be usable too, with it's 4.62 bore spacing. The 6x2 worked pretty good on a FE for HP, in Jay's book, it was down on torque but, with these old, split manifolds, you could increase runner length, pretty easy.

Something else to think about, is milling the top of a 6x2 and welding a plate on, to fit 4, 48mm Webers (2 on each side).

Did you ever come across a Hilborn FI engine?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

frnkeore wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:26 pmDid you ever come across a Hilborn FI engine?
The one Rich Fox (RIP) and I built together, he modified an early Olds Hilborn unit; for Bonneville only.

With the rocker covers from the Continental MK II and the FI IR, it was a good-looking thing.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

I did the Olds Hilborn on one of mine Picked up about 40 horse over the stock manifold I also tried modifying a Pontiac but the cylinder forward offset is different so you would have to cut the manifold in half to line up the ports I mispoke, you can bore the block 1/8 not .250. My Mermaid tribute car had a Hilborn inected, Clay Smith cammed Vertex mag, Continental covers Fenderwell header engine. I also was fortuate enough to find a proper Hilborn made for the Lincoln. It went with the Mermaid car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

Ran in low 14s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.