65' sbc 327. Oil pump drive

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

bobrl

65' sbc 327. Oil pump drive

Post by bobrl »

Morning. I am new to this forum ! Name is Bob. In Il.
My question is (i am new at engine work!!) putting a c2 327 back together after finding a hyd. Lifter C clip in oil pan! Ouch for sure. I purchased a china oil pump primer tool and noticed when i test fit it to oil pump extension shaft (with oil pump and ext. Shaft installed , oil pan off) , that when i pulled up to remove the tool it pulled the ext. Shaft up and off the oil pump spline ! So i had oil pan off, reached in to put ext. Shaft back in place , then installed oil pan. Now my concern is , what if i put the primer tool in to prime engine and the ext. Shaft raises up off pump, can i get the ext shaft back in place with oil pan installed? Can the ext shaft drop into pan or lodge against some thing or???? Thanks for any help please.
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: 65' sbc 327. Oil pump drive

Post by Tuner »

Sounds like you don't have the Nylon Oil Pump Driveshaft Locking Sleeve which retains the intermediate shaft to the pump shaft.

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

bobrl wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:02 am Morning. I am new to this forum ! Name is Bob. In Il.
My question is (i am new at engine work!!) putting a c2 327 back together after finding a hyd. Lifter C clip in oil pan! Ouch for sure. I purchased a china oil pump primer tool and noticed when i test fit it to oil pump extension shaft (with oil pump and ext. Shaft installed , oil pan off) , that when i pulled up to remove the tool it pulled the ext. Shaft up and off the oil pump spline ! So i had oil pan off, reached in to put ext. Shaft back in place , then installed oil pan. Now my concern is , what if i put the primer tool in to prime engine and the ext. Shaft raises up off pump, can i get the ext shaft back in place with oil pan installed? Can the ext shaft drop into pan or lodge against some thing or???? Thanks for any help please.
If that oil pump driveshaft has a metal collar attached around it at the oil pump junction, it may come-up far enough to get disengaged but, will not raise far enough to actually not be in alignment.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
bobrl

Post by bobrl »

Thanks. So if it comes up off oil pump shaft , i should be able to easily get it back on pump rite? Thanks.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

bobrl wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:21 pm Thanks. So if it comes up off oil pump shaft , i should be able to easily get it back on pump rite? Thanks.
If that pump driveshaft has the attached collar, then yes.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.