Longshot at Assessment and Reason for Damage?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rapidride2
HotPass
HotPass

Longshot at Assessment and Reason for Damage?

Post by rapidride2 »

Hello,

I have a shot at buying this engine. Price is right, although it is hurt. Owner seemed to have gone through a street outlaw phase, had this engine rebuilt and dynoed. 3 to 4 passes out there is one cylinder that has spring cup damage. Brodix pb 1201 maneater heads. Engine was shut off very quickly after noticing a miss. (Don't see where this would cause a miss) engine is not locked up. Spring is not broken and keeper is still in place.

I realize this is a Longshot and This engine is out of state. Any ideas as to what and why?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rapidride2
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Longshot at Assessment and Reason for Damage?

Post by rapidride2 »

What a good cup in the pocket looks like on all others.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Any other symptoms ?
Did they just find it doing maintenance ?
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
rapidride2
HotPass
HotPass

Post by rapidride2 »

Tom68 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:21 pm Any other symptoms ?
After 3 to 4 passes he felt the engine nose over and it had a light miss. He did say be shut it off and out of dusgust hasn't really looked at it since. In fact the car Is still inside his trailer.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

rapidride2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:40 pm
Tom68 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:21 pm Any other symptoms ?
After 3 to 4 passes he felt the engine nose over and it had a light miss. He did say be shut it off and out of dusgust hasn't really looked at it since. In fact the car Is still inside his trailer.
Hmmm, damaged valve then, hopefully not a damaged bore.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

It looks like the two pics of the 'damage' are taken to obscure the broken spring and the picture of the good one is clearly an intact spring, but why are the other two pictures not taken from the same side view angle, instead of the top down? I think the spring is broken but need better pictures to be sure.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Agree with Tuner. Coil circled in red looks broken from circle in green. Adds up to symptoms
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Im just shocked that those heads were assembled with painted springs..

probably broken valve spring caused some carnage.. if you can get a deal on the engine, go for it. Anything can be fixed. Its pretty expensive to build a 12 degree deal new these days. So even after its fixed you'll be ahead.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Coils in the middle of the spring sure look a lot closer together than the rest of them.
DON'T PANIC
rapidride2
HotPass
HotPass

Post by rapidride2 »

The gentleman who owns the engine bought it from the original owner who had similar issues. That original owner had it repaired and dynoed, then sold to current owner who made just a few passes and had a similar issue. Sorry its so hard to read. This described work was done BEFORE engine had its latest issue.

Man this thing is priced under $10k but I'm thinking it could be an expensive riddle to figure out. He is going to try and get me better pics of the springs.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

That’s the flat wire damper of the spring unwinding itself it looks like to me.

This will cause all sorts of damage.

Also rust pitting especially on valve springs like I see in some of those photos is a sure fire way to give a crack a place to start!

On a crazy but related side note, my friend and I last summer where sitting outside his restaurant at a table and his Mercedes was parked in the street just about right next to us.

All of a sudden we hear a loud bang like a shot gun and the drivers side front of the car is then sitting nearly on the ground.

Our first thought was that his front tire just blew out, but as we are walking over to his car he says I just got new tires 2 days ago.

We get around to that side of the car and the tire is fine, turns out the spring on that side busted just sitting there!

He gets the car towed to the car dealer and the service agent then tells him we have been having a lot of this year car bust front springs just due to a change in the steel make up and then rust pitting causing a crack to start.

Food for thought here, no?

Decades ago I had a flat wire damper unwind itself on me at 7300 rpm and the end result was a valve pulling thru it’s keeper and the dropped valve took out the whole motor.

From that day on I have never used a valve spring that had a flat wire damper on its make up!

I much sooner gladly spend the extra bucks on a true duel or triple spring set up.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rapidride2
HotPass
HotPass

Post by rapidride2 »

I saw the rust in the springs. The car has been sitting for 3 years in his trailer. Manley springs as noted in parts description.

He's gonna try to get clearer pics of notes spring.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

mt-engines wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:34 pm Im just shocked that those heads were assembled with painted springs..

probably broken valve spring caused some carnage.. if you can get a deal on the engine, go for it. Anything can be fixed. Its pretty expensive to build a 12 degree deal new these days. So even after its fixed you'll be ahead.
MT what's the issue with painted springs?, Manley nextek still do it too this day. Had my white paint nextek over 10 years.
rapidride2
HotPass
HotPass

Post by rapidride2 »

This was the cylinder with bad spring taken with a borescope. No carnage. Car has been sitting for 2 to 3 years. Helps out with assessing my gamble.
Image_202.jpg
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

looks like a good deal on a serious engine. I would want to know if the block has ever had a sleeve installed from a previous injury. If the block is good everything else can be fixed fairly easily i would say.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com