Serpentine Oil Pump Drive?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

chimpvalet
Pro
Pro
Serpentine Oil Pump Drive?

Post by chimpvalet »

Project looming this Spring is a custom drive layout for a sports car with inline 4 banger and dry sump system. A street toy which will be wound not far north of 7k from time to time. Pondering whether that oil pump, 1 pressure and 2 scavenge stages, could safely tie in with the proposed accessory drive. There are a compact Delco alternator and compact Sanden A/C compressor in need of drive so far, water pump is to be electric.
Advice?

Steve
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Re: Serpentine Oil Pump Drive?

Post by Rick! »

A quick check on Aviad pump and crank pulleys shows the pump is driven half of crank speed. Peterson dry sump pumps show similar crank/pump pulley ratios (50% engine speed)
A serpentine system typically has a fairly large crank pulley to run accessories so running the oil pump on the same belt might not give the proper drive ratio. Or, there might not be enough real estate for a large enough pump pulley?
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

Right on the money, that reply. The requirement for drive ratio reduction occurred to me after posting and I recall there's very limited clearance to chassis where the pump pulley must be.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Will the pump be able to take the tension from the serpentine setup? You might have to make some type of bearing support. Cog belts just slip on.
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

Not all pumps are run at half speed.
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

Mine's to spin at 5/8 crank speed, engine not buzzing much beyond 7k.

Cheers