Jesel or T&D?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Jesel or T&D?

Post by 408 Nova »

Which is the better rocker for a 9000 rpm sb2.2?

Or is there any difference at all between them as far as quality and reliability?
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Re: Jesel or T&D?

Post by cab0154 »

I think they are both quality. When I was looking at them, in the application I was buying for I wanted a stainless steel rocker, T&D had them and Jesel didnt. Sheldon at T&D was very helpful when I placed my order. Got it super fast, which was impressive since they said that was the first set of rockers they had done for the head I was using. But I dont think either would be a bad choice. I have a couple of sbf's at the shop right now, one has jesel aluminums and the other has t&d. they are both good pieces. the jesels are from the late 90s and were on a dry sump 308 from one of gentilozzi's trans am cars. Ive been told that engine won a lot of races that year.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

I think if I was designing / building a 9000rpm V8, I’d be talking to both directly and not on a forum. Both are / were used in NASCAR and other high rpm settings (circle track and drag racing), so they both have what you will need, just depends what that is.
-Bob
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

cab0154 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:18 am I think they are both quality. When I was looking at them, in the application I was buying for I wanted a stainless steel rocker, T&D had them and Jesel didnt. Sheldon at T&D was very helpful when I placed my order. Got it super fast, which was impressive since they said that was the first set of rockers they had done for the head I was using. But I dont think either would be a bad choice. I have a couple of sbf's at the shop right now, one has jesel aluminums and the other has t&d. they are both good pieces. the jesels are from the late 90s and were on a dry sump 308 from one of gentilozzi's trans am cars. Ive been told that engine won a lot of races that year.
Sheldon at T&D is who I talked to, and, like you said, a very nice fellow.
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

hoffman900 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:31 am I think if I was designing / building a 9000rpm V8, I’d be talking to both directly and not on a forum. Both are / were used in NASCAR and other high rpm settings (circle track and drag racing), so they both have what you will need, just depends what that is.
I have talked to both, and there is a $700 difference between the two companies given the same exact parameters. The price difference is why I asked my question here, plus looking for any real world differences between the rockers as far as reliability is concerned.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

408 Nova wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:46 am
hoffman900 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:31 am I think if I was designing / building a 9000rpm V8, I’d be talking to both directly and not on a forum. Both are / were used in NASCAR and other high rpm settings (circle track and drag racing), so they both have what you will need, just depends what that is.
I have talked to both, and there is a $700 difference between the two companies given the same exact parameters. The price difference is why I asked my question here, plus looking for any real world differences between the rockers as far as reliability is concerned.
$700 doesn’t sound like a difference in brands, but entirely different spec levels / systems.

What are the differences between what they’re spec’ing out?
-Bob
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

hoffman900 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:49 am
$700 doesn’t sound like a difference in brands, but entirely different spec levels / systems.

I don't think anything. Aluminum rockers with stands from both companies.

You're probably familiar with the sb2.2 valvetrain layout, but they're shaft mounted rockers and the stands come in different heights according to the valve stem height, or maybe they send shims along to get the height I need.

I need a 2.1/2.0 rocker combo to be paired with .436'' lobes for around .900'' lift. We are using a 1.28" base circle cam.

9000 rpm with a PAC 1356 spring and .937'' link bar lifters is what I told them.

They both said that's no problem for a certain range of their aluminum rockers.
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Post by cab0154 »

from what ive been told you want to make sure the stand height is pretty close to what it needs to be for the valve height. you dont want to have to run more than .100" shim under the stand. i would definitely double check that before i had them make something. i know jesel has recently made some sportsman type rockers that are a little cheaper. but if you told them what you needed and whoever is making the rockers says it will work for the application, i would have no reason to doubt it.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

408 Nova wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:03 pm

You're probably familiar with the sb2.2 valvetrain layout, but they're shaft mounted rockers and the stands come in different heights according to the valve stem height, or maybe they send shims along to get the height I need.

I need a 2.1/2.0 rocker combo to be paired with .436'' lobes for around .900'' lift. We are using a 1.28" base circle cam.

9000 rpm with a PAC 1356 spring and .937'' link bar lifters is what I told them.

I know of the layout, never worked on them. That price point seemed like entirely different levels of product to me than one brand v another. Just curious is all.
-Bob
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

hoffman900 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:17 pm
408 Nova wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:03 pm

I know of the layout, never worked on them. That price point seemed like entirely different levels of product to me than one brand v another. Just curious is all.
And you could possibly be correct. I probably need to call them and get a good run down on what they're offering.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

I recently had jesel steel for my latest sb2.2. . 1.75:1. They wanted me to send an assembled head to them for a laser scan. They said to be certain of proper geometry it was necessary. $$$$$ but the geometry is spot on. I have 4 engine , 2 with jesel and 2 with t&d. I wouldnt hesitate using either.
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

T&D told me to measure to the tip of the valve stems to the surface of where the stands bolt down to get a good height. Jesel hasn't said anything about that yet, lol.

By next week I'll know because I'm gonna order something from one of those companies.
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

I appreciate everyone's help
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

https://www.corral.net/threads/jesel-ss ... t-18746064

Topic from another site where I briefly went over the differences between the two brands in their entry-level offerings on a small Block Ford application. The pro series aluminum rocker likely has significant differences than the sportsman series I purchased.

Only reason I went with the Jessel rockers, was because at the time I was getting frustrated with the continuous it’ll be shipped in two weeks waiting game from some companies. Was told I could get the Jessel rockers in a timely fashion where T&D was questionable for delivery.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

Which ever one you choose, put a steel rocker on the exhaust side..........you will thank me later.