Thunderbird racers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
Thunderbird racers

Post by Dragsinger »

I am beginning the buildup of a 9th gen Thunderbird [1988 model] Some years ago the project was started as an NHRA stocker but the project fell on hard times and has been abandoned and neglected. It was completely torn down, cleaned, painted and 8-point roll bar installed. That is as far as they got. I just took possessing with plans to build an LS powered bracket package for local tracks.
Question: do we have any Thunderbird racers on this forum? Many of the parts are the same as Fox body Mustang. I plan to install a ladder bar rear system, gut the car to as light as practical, build a stout LS with expection of 5.90 - 6.0 ET range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Re: Thunderbird racers

Post by RW TECH »

Have you considered using bolt-in rear suspension items?
71vette

Post by 71vette »

Not a fox platform owner myself. Just wanted to say for many years now I have thought that is a good looking body style and I don't know why it isn't more popular.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

I gotta ask, why not a 351 based SBF?

Either a Bill Elliott inspired C or a W.
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

71 Vette, I agree and think the platform has great potential. I have notice in recent years we are seeing more models that formally were not popular. From my personal view, I like things that are different. I have built a lot of cars through the years and my theme has usually been to build something different but not to sacrifice potential to win.
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

Frnkeore, my age is 77, I have a lifetime of experience with Chevy engines. Plus, I either have the parts on hand or have connections for most of the parts I need. So, simply being practical.
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

RW Tech, about bolt in rear suspension, no, I have not considered doing so. I have lots of experience with ladder bars and four links and understand them and know how to tune them. Plus, I intend to build a new frame inboard of the OE frame to allow a larger tire, thus, the OE bar locations will be removed.
NebrRex

Post by NebrRex »

Look up Bob Glidden.