Another reason not to buy Speedmaster shit

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bob460
Expert
Expert

Re: Another reason not to buy Speedmaster shit

Post by bob460 »

fabr wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:54 pm New name,same game will be played.It will all take no time to happen.
I don't think so fabr, this was a line in the sand moment for Summit & Jegs. Summit said they will destroy ALL Speedmaster parts in stock and not return any parts back to Speedmaster.

Speedmaster will only continue on Ebay and Amazon.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Give it just a bit of time and we will see. It won't be long. $$$ seems to trump all. I do hope you are right though.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Watch the prices for non knockoffs rise . I may be wrong but the knockoffs do help hold down prices. Please don't misunderstand,I am not in favor of cheap crap or even quality outright knockoffs . They do serve a purpose however.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

fabr wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 am Watch the prices for non knockoffs rise . I may be wrong but the knockoffs do help hold down prices. Please don't misunderstand,I am not in favor of cheap crap or even quality outright knockoffs . They do serve a purpose however.
Companies that innovate, do research and development have to recuperate those costs and make a profit. A knock off does not have to recoup those costs. If companies actually sold parts at manufacturing cost plus 30% they would go broke quickly. And the budget for more research would be gone. The knockoffs do not help the industry, they hurt everything.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

I think you missed my point.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Bill Chase wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:39 am
fabr wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 am Watch the prices for non knockoffs rise . I may be wrong but the knockoffs do help hold down prices. Please don't misunderstand,I am not in favor of cheap crap or even quality outright knockoffs . They do serve a purpose however.
Companies that innovate, do research and development have to recuperate those costs and make a profit. A knock off does not have to recoup those costs. If companies actually sold parts at manufacturing cost plus 30% they would go broke quickly. And the budget for more research would be gone. The knockoffs do not help the industry, they hurt everything.
Almost the entire “working man” hobbyist would be priced out and all you’ll be left with is high end bespoke manufacturers.

Like it or not, but a lot of people can only afford this hobby because they’re supplementing some or all of their build with imported parts. Like, everyone seems to forget this is a luxury sector… hot rodding, amateur racing, etc. is people’s luxury spending…. smart, but selfish MBA’s and Wall Street have figured out how to milk more out of everyday things (food, housing, healthcare, daily drivers, etc), leaving less for luxury.

Also, if anyone remembers Harvey Crane’s website, and the stories of some of the cam manufacturers, half of them got their start ripping each other off. We blame overseas companies, but it’s really Americans ripping off Americans, they just have their ripoffs made cheaply ($$) overseas to maximize profit.
-Bob
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

Speed Master didn’t keep anyone in this sport by saving them $150 on a manifold or $400 on a set of heads.

Some people are just cheap and they knew there was a market for their knockoff crap.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

And where there is a market there are people willing to fill it. Again , outright counterfeits such as was the original subject of this thread is despicable AND ILLEGAL. Unfortunately or fortunately ,depending on point of view, near identical copying is not. If there was not a market there would be no knockoffs and I do believe that would cause "legit" products prices to rise way above what we see now. I remember way back to when I was a kid and the knockoffs were far fewer. I could barely afford to buy stuff. As time went on and the knockoffs became the norm at places such as Speedway/Jegs/Summit the "legit" stuff became more affordable. Just my .02 .

For the record I do not buy knockoffs of any kind as I have found on the few occasions I had a brain fart and tried to save a few bucks they always left something/a lot to be desired.
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

When Speed Master was Pro-Comp, and they pulled their knock-off shit on MSD every self-respecting Motorsport fan should have been able to figure it out.

I'm glad that they slit their own throat on this.
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

And on today's newsfeed...
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Rick! wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:31 am And on today's newsfeed...
Glad to see it getting some press, but they’ll just rebrand and be something else.

The Feds just took over a bank back in Philadelphia… it’s the third time the CEO / Founder has created a failed bank and he gets bailed out every time.

Dissolve the LLC, rebrand, and back in business. Happens every day in a lot of industries.
-Bob
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

"Allegedly" ..... lol