Pontiac 400 Cam Bearing Issue

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Big bald guy

Pontiac 400 Cam Bearing Issue

Post by Big bald guy »

Using Durabond P-4 cam bearings. Front bearing installed so the oil hole is aligned properly with the feed hole from the main. Put the HR cam in to check fit, noticed the cam bearing misses about .200 of the cam journal, like it needs a wider cam bearing. If I put another bearing in flush with the front of the block it would solve that problem but oil hole won't line up. Thought about drilling a new oil hole but it would be very close to the back edge of the bearing.Any ideas?
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Pontiac 400 Cam Bearing Issue

Post by tjs44 »

Check with luhn performance,they do custom pontiac cam bearing.Tom
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

The correct length is 0.690", all five brgs.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Just drill a new hole where you need it to allow good alignment of the bearing front to rear.

Be sure to deburr the new hole.

Also note to be careful with the length of the bolts that retain the valley pan.

If they are too long they will pinch off those two Cam bearings.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Pretty sure that is normal for Pontiacs. I think there is a little slot that lets oil feed out to the back of the timing gear. If you put the bearing in all the way to the front you will cover that slot. I have one here and even though I already have the cam bearings out you can see where the original ones were. Leave it alone and worry about other things :) There are plenty of engines with cam bearings that are nowhere near the same length as the cam journals.

Here is a picture of one a guy is selling on Ebay:
400 pontiac block.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com