Sheet metal tunnel ram 2x4 runner angle

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RL
Guru
Guru

Sheet metal tunnel ram 2x4 runner angle

Post by RL »

On a symmetrical head (Cleveland 351C V8) do you angle the runners (looking from the top) so that the entrances line up under the carbs.

All the symmetrical head sheet metal tunnel ram 2x4 manifolds that I've seen don't have the runners angled inwards towards each other in pairs. Ther runner angle is the same as the port runner angle like Darin makes on his web site

There is about 1" difference to lining up, is it worth angling them in to line up under the carbs V's the miss alignment between the runner and the port. I already have a severe 15° miss alignment looking from the front between the runner and the port to get the lenght I need
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
2x4 sheet manifold

Post by Troy Patterson »

What carburetors are these, Dominators or 4150s?

The shape under the carb is as important as anything else.

Troy Patterson TMPCarbs.net TMP Carbs
RL
Guru
Guru

Post by RL »

Most probably 650-750's

We ran dominators on a 427SBF 7500rpm 660hp 10.3sec 132mph, then changed to 750's and went 0.01 tenth quicker, so the dominators might be a touch big

This engine is 417Cleve 7500rpm 650hp trying for high 9sec with a lighter car

What shape under the carb should there be, I was just going to have the open entrances .4sq" entrances sharing the bottom(center valley) radius betwen both banks
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

A pair of those 750 dominators would be nice for that combination. much less runner offset to tuck up under the carbs. (it's so damn easy to have such ideas when it's not my money..)
RL
Guru
Guru

Post by RL »

Gee I didn't know they make 750Dom, the owner bought some 950's from a swap meet last time cause he's cheap. He bit the bullet and bought some new BG750(not Dom)
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

RL wrote:Gee I didn't know they make 750Dom, the owner bought some 950's from a swap meet last time cause he's cheap. He bit the bullet and bought some new BG750(not Dom)
They do (or did). Same barrel spacing, same big holes, but large body boosters reduce the CFM rating. (..or at least thats how I remember them)
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
sheet metal tunnel ram

Post by Troy Patterson »

I'd run the Dominators. I'd guarantee there was more than a .01 to be had from the Dom's with proper tuning - although, you didn't say what size Doms. Obviously, there is a point where you don't gain any more from additional cfm.

The 750's limit what booster you can run in the carburetor for best results due to the small venturi dia.

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Re: sheet metal tunnel ram

Post by Ron E »

Troy Patterson wrote:I

The 750's limit what booster you can run in the carburetor for best results due to the small venturi dia.

Oops! I got it backwards. Sorry.
I've only seen one set. I was mostly impressed by the lovely anodizing treatment. Nothing says power like pink throttle shafts.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
Re: sheet metal tunnel ram

Post by Troy Patterson »

Ron E wrote:
Troy Patterson wrote:I

Oops! I got it backwards. Sorry.
I've only seen one set. I was mostly impressed by the lovely anodizing treatment. Nothing says power like pink throttle shafts.
Ya, and the one I did for you was pink with polka dots. I didn't care for the fur you wanted on it, but you know, the customer always get it the way he, or she wants! Your secret is safe with me :wink:

RL
Guru
Guru

Post by RL »

The Doms were 950s I think, and they were slower than the BG 750s square bore

A friend ran a 750 Dom on a 350cu and it made less than the 750 square.
The dyno operator said the 750 Dom just dosen't work and he hasn't seen the 750 Dom out do a 750square
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
sheet metal tunnel rams

Post by Troy Patterson »

So much of that is in the tune. The trouble with O2's and fuel flow meters is that it doesn't know whether the fuel is flowing into the carb as a result of flooding, or a perfect tune, as long as it happens to be the right number, everyone assumes it's optimal.

The difference in real world performance can be night and day.

To further expand on this, a carb or other modification to an engine could make more "accelerative torque" but show a lower torque / horsepower reading on a step test dyno, yet accelerate the car faster. The big boys (and the thorough) in racing back up dyno testing with on track testing - be it a step test or inertial dyno.

The 750 Dominator has the same metering circuitry, but hardly has the same venturi dimensions - should been tunable.

RL
Guru
Guru

Post by RL »

Troy would you recommend Doms for this engine, and what size

This engine is 417Cleve 7500rpm 650hp trying for high 9sec with a lighter car

The Doms would line up better on my sheet metal manifold as I've decided to keep the runners straight rather angle them in under the carb