Mobil 1 product chart with phos (anti-wear additive) listed

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

540 RAT
Expert
Expert

Mobil 1 product chart with phos (anti-wear additive) listed

Post by 540 RAT »

For Mobil 1 users, here is a chart you can look at, to see if you've chosen the best particular Mobil 1 product for your hotrod or race car:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot ... _Guide.pdf

The text below is a Mobil Q and A:

Ask Mobil
Has Zinc Been Removed from Motor Oils?

Question:
Has Zinc Been Removed from Motor Oils?
I am having thrust bearing failure in a 4.6 modified performance engine. This is a street/strip engine. Many of my friends are having the same problem. I think it is the result of the removal of zinc from the oil. I was told by two separate racing engine builders that the EPA ordered the removal of the zinc from over-the-counter motor oil. I use Mobil 1 5W-20. Is this true and do you think a zinc additive might help?
-- Randy Lovejoy, Americas, GA

Answer:
The active ingredient that you are talking about is phosphorus which is added thru a component called ZDDP. For products that meet the new ILSAC GF-4 specification the phosphorus levels for the oil must be less than 800 ppm phosphorus. The ILSAC level for phosphorus has been reduced to protect the catalytic converter and other emission protection equipment. The engine manufacturers are confident that this level of phosphorus will protect both new and older engines. However, there are Mobil 1 products which have a higher level of phosphorus (phos) and can be used in engines in racing or high performance applications; see the attached table.
dragv6

Post by dragv6 »

Is that saying that racers should use racing 4t or v twin for the higher phosphorus(zinc) protection?
540 RAT
Expert
Expert

Post by 540 RAT »

Sure does.
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

the last bad catalytic converter i saw was from a 1985 s10
And i removed my wifes on her 1995 corolla just to look at it and it is a see through type and it looked brand new , 188,000 miles... it has been over ten years since i have seen a converter issue.....
How much much more stuff will they change to keep your engine from lasting more than 100,000 miles....I think someone wants to sell more new cars
This new oil earks me :evil:
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

The old oil additives do not clog the cat but rather coats the platinum catalyst reducing it's effectiveness.
dragrcr71

Post by dragrcr71 »

Good info. Thanks for the post.

I wish the M1 Extended Performance with the higher phosphorus content came in 10W30 instead of 15W50.
BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Post by BLACK BART »

If you guys look at the footnotes below the chart they say "**API SH and API SG are no longer licenseable." If you want to use the motorcycle oil in your stuff you better get it while you can because it's going to end up like the other oils that have been reformulated to the SM specifications.

The Mobile 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 is the only SM oil on that chart that has a high level of ZDDP or Phosphorus at 1200 ppm, which is similar to what we had before all this mess started. Unless you need a different viscosity, why not just use that one? At least you know it will be around a little longer and easier to get. As added peace of mind, they even specifically state it is for racing and flat tappet applications.

dragrcr71 has the only reason I can see for not using the Mobile 1 Extended Performance 15W-50. Some engines just don't need an oil that thick. CJ